I knew I wanted to do an appetizer with them, using the endive as a little cup/spoon. This is what I came up with:
It's basically a cooked shrimp, a slice of avocado, a grapefruit segment, and a bit of a cocktail sauce mixture on an endive spear. The flavour combination sounds a little strange, but surprisingly works really well together, and I think the colours are beautiful. It was harder than I thought to keep the ingredients standing up, so next time, I might chop everything up and mix it all together.
Shrimp, Avocado, and Grapefruit on Endive Spears
Yield: 12 filled spears
1 tbsp prepared horseradish, or to taste
2 tbsp mayonnaise
2 tbsp ketchup
1 tbsp butter
12 shrimp, peeled and deveined
salt and pepper
1 grapefruit, peeled and segmented
1 avocado, peeled and sliced
2 heads endive
- To make the cocktail sauce, mix horseradish, mayonnaise, and ketchup together.
- Cook the shrimp in melted butter until just pink, about 4 minutes.
- Cut the end off each head of endive.
- Peel individual leaves of endive and place on a plate.
- Spoon a teaspoon of cocktail sauce onto each endive leaf.
- Top with one shrimp, one slice of avocado, and one grapefruit segment.
- Serve immediately.