Adapted from this recipe on cookingforengineers.com
Yield: 1 9x13 pan or 36 1.5x2.25 inch bars
icing sugar, for dusting
3 tbsp gelatin
1/2 cup water
2 cups sugar
2/3 cup light corn syrup
1/4 cup water
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Prepare a 9x13 glass dish by greasing it with butter and sifting icing sugar over the bottom and sides of pan.
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine gelatin and 1/2 cup water. Let bloom for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, in a pot, combine sugar, corn syrup, and 1/4 cup water.
- Over medium-high heat, bring to a boil. Allow to boil until temperature passes 250F.
- Turn mixer on at low speed, and drizzle in hot sugar.
- Once all syrup is mixed in, turn mixer to medium-high speed, and add salt.
- Continue mixing for 8 to 10 minutes. Once volume of marshmallow has stopped increasing, add vanilla or other flavouring (I also added almond extract).
- Pour marshmallow into prepared pan. Use a buttered rubber spatula to spread mixture.
- Let marshmallow cool and set for 4 hours or overnight.
- Turn out onto a cutting board dusted with icing sugar. Using a pizza wheel, section the marshmallows into desired shapes. Dredge each piece in icing sugar.
- Store in airtight container.