Tomato, Yogurt, and Cinnamon Lamb Curry
Adapted from Vij's Elegant and Inspired Indian Cuisine
Yield: 3 servings
2 tbsp canola oil
1 lb lamb leg, cut into 1- to 2-inch cubes
1/2 tbsp cumin seeds
1 medium onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/2 tbsp ginger, grated
1 cinnamon stick, 2 inches long
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp ground cayenne pepper
1 tsp salt
1 can diced tomatoes
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- In a large pot, heat oil on medium high heat.
- Brown lamb, stirring regularly, until you notice small thing lines of blood on the meat.
- Remove lamb from pot.
- Reduce heat to medium low and add cumin seeds. Saute until they sizzle, about 30 seconds.
- Add onions and saute until brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and ginger. Cook for 1 minute.
- Wrap cloves and cinnamon in cheesecloth and secure with twine. Add to pot, tying string to pot handle for easy removal.
- Add ground cumin, coriander, turmeric, cayenne, and salt. Saute, stirring regularly, for 5 minutes or until the oil separates from the spices.
- Add tomatoes and cook for 3 or 4 minutes, until oil separates again and glistens.
- Add yogurt and cook for another 1 or 2 minutes.
- Add water. Bring to a boil.
- Return lamb to the pot. Cook covered, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour or until meat is cooked through.
- Just before serving, remove cinnamon and cloves and stir in cilantro.