Tuesday, May 25, 2010

First Day of School

It has finally arrived - my first day of school. I still remember finding out in Hawaii that I wasn't going to start school until May 25 and that seemed so far away then. But the time has really flown and here we are - I'm a student again. It's a weird concept and it hasn't really sunk in quite yet.

Today wasn't an especially interesting day since we just did administrative things, as we will continue to do for the rest of the week. We probably won't even get into the kitchen until Friday. But I bought my textbook today, as well as my knife kit, so I finally have a proper knife bag to transport my knives, as well as all the tools I will need for school.

My class seems good so far. There are twenty of us, fifteen boys and five girls. To my relief, I am not the oldest student in the class, though there are definitely some pretty young people there too. Varying levels of experience in the industry, from zero up to about ten years.

My chef instructor learns names by repetition, and since alphabetically, my last name puts me first on the list of students, my name was the first he learned, mostly by using my name in every example he gave. I'm pretty sure I'm the only person whose name everyone in the class already knows.

We talked about our schedule for the year. Block 1 is safety, sanitation, intro to the kitchen, and knife skills. Not too exciting, but necessary. I'm most looking forward to Block 7 which is baking and pastry. Block 8 will also be interesting, being a server in the restaurant and learning about the front of the house.

It's weird to think that I'm really doing this. A year ago, this was just a dream, and now it's reality. I'm happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment