Adapted from Joy of Cooking
Yield: 20 sandwiches
1 1/4 cup butter, softened
2/3 cup sugar
2 1/3 cup flour
1/2 cup finely ground almonds
1 tsp cinnamon
2/3 cup seedless fruit jam (not jelly) (I used red currant)
- Cream butter and sugar together until very fluffy.
- In another bowl, whisk together flour, ground almonds, and cinnamon.
- Stir the flour mixture into the butter mixture until combined.
- Divide the dough into thirds. Bring each third together by kneading.
- Place each third between 2 large sheets of parchment paper.
- Roll each third into a circle 1/8-inch thick.
- Keeping the paper in place, layer the rolled dough on a baking sheet and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- In the meantime, boil the jelly for 2 minutes. Let cool to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Working with one portion of dough at a time, peel away the top sheet of paper.
- Use a 2 1/2-inch cutter to cut rounds.
- For half the cookies, then use a 1-inch cutter to cut out a hole in the middle.
- Place cookies on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until pale golden.
- Transfer the cookies to a rack to cool.
- Repeat with remaining dough. Dough can be rerolled as many times as necessary. Place in freezer for a few minutes if it becomes to soft to work with.
- Sift icing sugar over the cookies with a hole in the middle.
- On the bottom of the solid cookies, spoon 1/4 tsp of the cooled jelly onto each cookie, then top with a cutout cookie.