Adapted from Joy of Cooking
Yield: 1 8x8 square pan, or 9 2.5-inch squares
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup molasses
1/4 cup honey
1/3 cup finely minced ginger
1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Line an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment, leaving a slight overhang on all sides.
- In a small pot, combine butter and water and heat until butter is melted.
- In a large bowl, whisk together brown sugar, molasses, honey, and egg. Add ginger and whisk to combine.
- Whisk butter mixture into molasses mixture.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt. Add to molasses mixture and stir in just until smooth.
- Scrape batter into pan and bake until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Cool completely.