Thursday, April 1, 2010

Raw Salmon - Two Ways


I often buy sushi salmon and just cut it into sashimi slices and serve it with seasoned Japanese rice, mostly because it is so easy and it tastes so good. Since I'm exploring new recipes, I thought it was time to spice up our regular raw salmon dinner, so I made salmon tartare and salmon carpaccio.


The tartare was only ok for me. Unfortunately, the salmon flavour got overpowered by the green onion I used in place of chive. I will have to try it again to improve on it. The carpaccio, on the other hand, was amazing - I wouldn't change a thing.

Salmon Tartare
Yield: 2 servings
Print recipe


6 oz sushi grade salmon
1 tbsp olive oil
1 shallot, finely chopped
1 tbsp chives, finely chopped (I used green onion, and this is not a good substitution)
1 tbsp cilantro, finely chopped
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp white pepper
zest and juice of half a lime
  1. With a sharp knife, mince the salmon fillet. Do not use a food processor.

  2. Combine salmon with remaining ingredients, except lime (it will "cook" the salmon).

  3. Let chill for 30 minutes.

  4. Just before serving, add lime zest and juice.

  5. Serve immediately.


Salmon Carpaccio
Adapted from this post on La Tartine Gourmande
Yield: 2 servings
Print recipe


6 oz sushi grade salmon
1/8 fennel bulb
1 tsp fennel leaves, finely chopped
1 tsp mint, finely chopped
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
juice of half a lemon
1 tsp capers
1 tbsp olive oil
fennel leaves, for garnish
  1. Use a mandoline to slice the fennel very thinly.

  2. Combine fennel slices with fennel leaves, mint, sugar, salt, and lemon juice.

  3. Refrigerate mixture for 1 hour.

  4. Wrap salmon in plastic wrap and place in freezer for 30 minutes for ease of slicing.

  5. Just before serving, take salmon out of freezer and slice thinly.

  6. To serve, arrange salmon slices on plate, top with fennel slices, then sprinkle with olive oil. Add capers and garnish with fennel leaves.

  7. Serve immediately.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Christine!

    My name is Rebecca and I'm one of the Editors at HuffPost Taste. I'm working on a roundup of some of our favorite carpaccio recipes, and would love to feature a photo this lovely post, pending your permission. We'll link back to your original post for the recipe.

    Would you mind just letting me know whether you'd like us to credit the photo to your name or your blog's name? You can reach me at rebecca.orchant (at) huffingtonpost.com. Thanks very much!

    - Rebecca

    ReplyDelete