The recipe from the Joy of Cooking was really straightforward, so it was easy to put together in about 15 minutes. I absolutely love freshly baked cake, I mean nothing beats baked goods straight from the oven, so I could hardly wait for it to cool to have a taste. I probably took it out of the oven an hour ago and I've already had two slices - the lemon flavour and the tiny amount of crunch from the poppy seeds is perfect.
Lemon Poppy Seed Pound Cake
Adapted from Joy of Cooking
Yield: 1 loaf
3 tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp lemon juice
3/4 cup butter, melted
1 1/2 cup flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 tbsp poppy seeds
1 tbsp lemon zest
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In one bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, poppy seeds, lemon zest, baking powder, and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, vanilla, and lemon juice.
- Add melted butter and half of egg mixture to flour mixture. Mix on low speed until the dry ingredients are moistened.
- Add the remaining egg mixture in 2 parts, beating for 20 seconds after each addition.
- Pour into a greased loaf pan.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.