Friday, April 23, 2010

Less Healthy Dinner

Since we've been eating at home so much, I haven't gotten my usual fix of unhealthy deep fried food, especially french fries, my favourite. So I decided to just make it myself - dinner last night was chicken fingers and fries.


I wasn't a huge fan of the fries. They just weren't crispy enough. But the chicken fingers were amazing. The crust was tasty and it stuck right to the meat, unlike some other breading I've done. And the chicken was cooked perfectly. Definitely a keeper.

Chicken Fingers
Adapted from Joy of Cooking
Yield: 4 servings
Print recipe

1 egg
1/4 cup milk
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tbsp water
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup breadcrumbs (I used panko)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne (optional)
1 pound chicken tenders
  1. In one bowl, whisk together egg, milk, oil, and water.

  2. In another bowl, stir together flour, cornmeal, breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, and cayenne.

  3. One at a time, coat the chicken tenders in the milk mixture and then roll in the flour mixture.

  4. Place in a single layer on a baking sheet. (At this point, chicken can be refrigerated for several hours before cooking.)

  5. Preheat oven to 450F.

  6. Heat 2 inches of vegetable oil in a large, deep, heavy pot to 375F.

  7. Bake chicken for 15 minutes.

  8. A few at a time, place chicken in the oil until golden brown, about 2 minutes.

  9. Drain on paper towels and serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment