We often make ice cream sandwiches at work, so I was inspired to try these sandwich cookies (kind of like homemade oreos) for A to bring to this weekend's golf game.
Cocoa Wafer Sandwiches
Adapted from Sugar by Anna Olson
Yield: 2 dozen sandwiches
1 egg white
2 cups icing sugar
2-3 drops vanilla extract or peppermint extract
- Put egg white in a bowl.
- Beat in icing sugar, a few tablespoonsful at a time, until a soft dough forms.
- Continue to add remaining icing sugar until dough is no longer sticky.
- Mix in extract.
Cocoa Wafer Cookies
3/4 cup butter, at room temperature
1 cup icing sugar
6 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla
1 egg yolk
1 tbsp milk
1 1/2 cup flour
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp baking powder
- Beat butter until smooth and fluffy.
- Stir in icing sugar and cocoa powder.
- Stir in vanilla, egg yolk, and milk.
- Add flour, salt, and baking powder. Blend until incorporated.
- Shape the dough into a disc and wrap in plastic wrap. Chill in refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Lightly dust the work surface with icing sugar.
- Roll the dough to 1/8 inch thick. Cut dough into desired shapes.
- Place cookies onto a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake 7 to 8 minutes or until the cookies can be lifted easily away from the parchment.
- Using an offset spatula, immediately transfer the cookies to rack to cool.
- To fill cookies, roll a teaspoon of icing filling into a ball and flatten a little.
- Sandwich between 2 cookies and press together to push icing to edges.