Marble Sugar Cookies
Adapted from Joy of Cooking
Yield: 3 dozen cookies
1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup superfine sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/4 cup flour
1 ounce melted and cooled semisweet or bittersweet chocolate
- Cream butter, sugar, and salt together until very fluffy and well blended.
- Add the egg and vanilla, and beat until well combined.
- Add flour and beat in until just combined.
- Take one quarter of the dough and mix in the melted chocolate.
- Divide the chocolate dough into 6 portions and press into the remaining three quarters of dough. Knead the doughs together slightly to create a marbled effect.
- Divide the dough in half and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate until firm, at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Lightly flour the work surface.
- Roll the dough to 1/8 inch thick. Cut dough into desired shapes.
- Place cookies onto a parchment lined baking sheet, about 1/2 inch apart.
- Bake 5 to 6 minutes or until the cookies are light golden brown at the edges.
- Using an offset spatula, immediately transfer the cookies to rack to cool.