Almond Toffee Bars
Adapted from Joy of Cooking
Yield: 8 x 8 square pan
2/3 cup flour
1 1/2 tbsp sugar
1/8 tsp salt
1/4 cup butter
2 tsp milk
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, and salt.
- Cut in the butter until the mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- Add milk and stir to blend. Knead until the dough begins to hold together.
- Press the dough into an 8x8 baking pan lined with parchment paper.
- Refrigerate the dough for 15 minutes.
- Bake the chilled dough for 10 minutes. Let cool slightly.
Almond Toffee and Chocolate Topping
5 tbsp butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp honey
1 tbsp milk
1 cup almonds, chopped
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup chocolate chips
- In a medium saucepan, combine butter, brown sugar, honey, milk, and salt.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Boil mixture for 3 minutes, uncovered. Remove from heat.
- Stir in the almonds and vanilla.
- Spread evenly over the shortbread crust.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until toffee mixture is bubbly and golden brown.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips over the top.
- Let stand for 2 minutes, then smooth across the surface with a butter knife to partially spread the chocolate.
- Let cool completely before lifting bars from pan. Cut into bars.