Sunday, September 12, 2010

Block 4: Week 3 - Meat

This week, we cooked meat for the cafeteria. Over the course of the week, I made roast chicken with a giant log of stuffing, chicken ballantines (boneless chicken legs wrapped around a ball of stuffing and baked in the oven), and pot roast.

The highlight of the week was probably starting work at the Renaissance Hotel. Through school, our class is doing practicum work there. We do five hour shifts, a couple of days a week, for five months. My first day was Thursday, and I ended up working with the pastry cook. I had tons of fun that day making dinner rolls, brioche dough, cookie dough (chocolate chip and oatmeal raisin), chocolate cake, and creme brulee. The guy I was working with was really nice. He took me on a tour of the kitchens and I got to see the revolving restaurant at the top of the hotel. He gave me a chocolate chip cookie for breakfast (yum) and he also let me taste the chocolate cake (surprisingly delicious when it was made with water as the liquid ingredient). He encouraged me to write down all the recipes, so I will definitely be making some of those at home. We also get to eat a meal at the hotel, which was a delicious salmon, scalloped potatoes, and roasted veggies. It was a great day.

Next week - vegetable station.

No comments:

Post a Comment