Roasted Pepper Cream Sauce
Adapted from Joy of Cooking
Yield: 1 cup
3 large bell peppers, roasted, peeled, and coarsely chopped
2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp sweet paprika
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground red pepper, to taste
1 cup chicken stock
1 cup water
1/2 cup heavy cream
salt and pepper, to taste
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Cut peppers into pieces and place skin side up on sheet.
- Brush with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Broil, turning as needed, until blackened, about 5 to 10 minutes. Keep your eye on peppers while broiling.
- Let peppers cool and then remove skin. Chop roughly.
- Heat olive oil in a medium pan over medium heat.
- Add onions and cook, stirring often, until lightly browned.
- Stir in peppers, garlic, paprika, cinnamon, and ground red pepper. Cook for 1 minute.
- Pour in stock and water. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat, partially cover, and slowly simmer for 90 minutes.
- Puree the mixture in a blender or food processor.
- Add cream and salt and pepper.
- Serve warm with pasta, roasted or grilled meats, chicken, or fish.