We started with a roasted beet, goat cheese, and candied pecan salad. To candy the pecans, I just put a tablespoon of sugar with a drop of water and the pecans into a pan and cooked them until the sugar coated the pecans, about 5 minutes.
Then bruschetta. Nothing too fancy - I toasted the bread in the oven, rubbed it with garlic and brushed with olive oil, and then topped with chopped tomatoes and basil.
Main course was just pasta, but I had freshly made that batch of sauce. I put lots of tasty ingredients in it, like shallots, fennel, celery, carrots, roasted garlic, and chili flakes. It was pretty good.
Dessert was a strawberry pistachio cream phyllo cup, to finally finish off all the phyllo dough.
Phyllo Cups with Strawberries and Pistachio Cream
Adapted from Joy of Cooking
Yield: 3 cups
1/4 cup butter, melted
2 tsp sugar
2 sheets phyllo dough
1/3 cup whipping cream
1/3 cup sour cream
1 tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup pistachios, toasted and chopped
1 tbsp fresh mint, chopped
1/4 fresh strawberries, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Place a large cutting board slightly larger than the phyllo sheet on the work surface, long edge facing you.
- Place one sheet of phyllo on the parchment paper. Using a pastry brush, brush the sheet with melted butter. Sprinkle with one teaspoon of sugar.
- Place the second sheet of phyllo over the first and brush with melted butter. Sprinkle with the second teaspoon of sugar.
- Fold the phyllo in half, width-wise.
- Cut the phyllo sheets into 6 squares.
- Butter the insides and rims of 3 large muffin cups.
- Place one phyllo square into a muffin cup, easing it in so that it covers half the bottom and rises to hang over the side of the cup.
- Ease in a second stack, slightly overlapping the first, to cover the other half of the muffin cup.
- Repeat to make 2 more phyllo cups.
- Bake until the pastry is golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Let cool completely, then carefully remove from the muffin cups.
- Whip the whipping cream, sour cream, 1 tablespoon of sugar, and the vanilla until almost stiff.
- Fold in the pistachios and the mint.
- Just before serving, divide the pistachio cream between the cups and top with the strawberries. Serve immediately.