Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Quesadillas


Another work-inspired meal was chorizo quesadillas. I had previously only made quesadillas with chicken, so the chorizo was a great way to change up an easy weeknight meal.

No real recipe to post for the quesadillas. For the filling, just cook up the chorizo with some julienned peppers and onions, salt and pepper. To make the quesadilla, warm a small amount of oil on medium heat, put the tortilla in the pan, fill half the tortilla with the filling and top with a mixture of shredded Jack and cheddar cheeses, fold the empty half over the filling, and cook both sides until brown.



Originally, I had planned to make the whole meal from scratch, including making my own flour tortillas. I did find a recipe and I actually tried making them, but they didn't turn out quite right. I reduced the recipe so I wouldn't end up with too many tortillas, and I know I messed up the reductions, but even after I kind of fixed it, they were still quite bubbly and maybe a bit too crispy to use for quesadillas. I ended up buying tortillas from the store, which was disappointing.


I did make my own salsa and guacamole though. Both surprisingly easy to make, and so fresh tasting when it's homemade. I'll never buy either of these pre-made again.



Tomato Salsa
Adapted from Joy of Cooking
Yield: 1 cup
Print recipe

1/2 small white or red onion or 4 scallions, finely chopped, rinsed, and drained
2 tbsp fresh lime juice
2 small ripe tomatoes, finely diced
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1 fresh jalapeno pepper, or to taste, seeded and minced
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 tsp salt, or to taste
  1. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir together well.

  2. Serve immediately.


Guacamole
Adapted from Joy of Cooking
Yield: 1 cup
Print recipe

1 large ripe avocado
1/2 small white onion, finely chopped
1 fresh jalapeno pepper, or to taste, seeded and minced
1 small ripe tomato, finely diced
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1 tbsp fresh lime juice
1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
  1. Halve the avocado and remove the pit.

  2. Use a spoon to scoop the flesh into a bowl.

  3. Use a fork or a potato masher to coarsely mash the avocado.

  4. Combine avocado with the remaining ingredients.

  5. Let stand for a few minutes, then serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment