Sunday, September 20, 2009

First Day of Work

I had my first day of work yesterday and it was amazing. I showed up at 9am and didn't have any idea what I'd be doing all day, whether it was an orientation or actually cooking or what. No one was there to meet me. It seemed like I was the only new person around, which was strange.

I saw someone I recognized and he showed me where to get my uniform, so I changed into my cook's jacket and some hideous black and white checkered pants. I surprisingly made it back to the kitchen without getting lost and finally found B. He got me a chef's hat, an apron, and put me straight to work making caprese salads. All the ingredients were prepped the day before, so I was just assembling them and wrapping them up to go in the fridge. I guess I must be pretty slow because it took me all morning to make 20 salads. In the afternoon, I sliced up some turkey breast by hand because no one wanted to show me how to use the meat slicer on my first day, sorted the wet lettuce out of the salads we were making, and because we actually finished making everything really early, started chopping peppers in prep for Monday.

Near the end of the day, B asked me how I liked my fist day, and I had a huge smile on my face. I actually had a lot of fun. It was pretty much chaos for most of the day, but that's what I loved about it. Everyone is like a well-oiled machine and each person contributes their bit to making all this food happen. I can't wait to go back.

No comments:

Post a Comment