Sunday, July 25, 2010

Block 2: Week 4 - Cold Sandwiches

Cold sandwiches was a relatively easy week. We essentially had to make sixteen sandwiches each and have them out in the cafeteria before 11:30. The first day was the hardest because we didn't really know what we were doing, and chef kept asking me to do different things, like organize the fridge and make roast beef. But that roast beef was actually really tasty and made some excellent roast beef sandwiches with a horseradish mayo, lettuce, tomatoes, sprouts, and red onions. Throughout the week, I also made a mexican wrap (with ground beef, rice, tomatoes, sour cream, lettuce, and cheddar cheese), a roasted tomato, basil, and bocconcini sandwich on foccacia (so delicious), an egg salad sandwich, and a ham and cheese sandwich.

I also figured out why the hot sandwiches week was so hard - my friends were on hot breakfast and I was on hot lunch, so we never saw each other. School just wasn't as much fun as it normally was.

Block 2 was a pretty busy month. Chef told us that breakfast and lunch actually used to be two separate blocks that were combined into one, so there was a lot to do in a short amount of time. I'm sad school is flying by so fast, but I'm kinda happy to be moving on to a new block.

We actually just had a week off from school. A and I went to Red Lake to visit family, and we drove home. Man, that's a long drive. It didn't help that there was an accident between Golden and Revelstoke, so we decided to take the long route home. But we had a nice stop in Banff, staying and eating at the Banff Springs Hotel. The pool was my favourite pool ever - an outdoor pool, but heated like a hot tub. It was amazing.

Tomorrow we start Block 3 - soups, stocks, sauces, and cold salads.

No comments:

Post a Comment