Turkish Lentil Soup
Adapted from this recipe on wholefoodsmarket.com
Yield: 4-6 servings
2 tbsp butter
1 large onion, diced
1 large carrot, diced
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp ground cumin
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1 cup red lentils
4 cups chicken broth
1 cup water
salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large pot, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add onion, carrot, and garlic, and sweat with a pinch of salt until onions are translucent, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, cumin and cayenne. Stir to combine.
- Add lentils, broth, and water, and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and simmer, uncovered, until vegetables are tender and lentils begin to fall apart, about 25 minutes.
- Remove pot from heat and use an immersion blender to blend soup until it is creamy but not completely puréed.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, and serve with a lemon wedge to garnish, if desired.