Beef Short Ribs in Cinnamon and Red Wine Curry
Adapted from Vij's Elegant and Inspired Indian Cuisine
Yield: 8 servings
2 tbsp ghee or butter
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 tbsp cumin seeds
2 large onions, finely chopped
10 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 can diced tomatoes
1 tsp ground fenugreek seeds
1 1/2 tbsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp ground cayenne pepper
1 1/2 tbsp Mexican chili powder
1 3-inch piece of cinnamon bark
5 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup red wine
2 1/2 lbs beef short ribs, bone removed and excess fat trimmed (each rib about 7 oz raw)
- In a large heavy pot, sear the short ribs. Remove from pot.
- In the same pot, melt ghee or butter on medium high heat.
- Add oil and cumin seeds. Allow seeds to sizzle for about 30 seconds, then add onions.
- Saute onions 8 to 10 minutes or until brown.
- Add garlic and saute until garlic is golden brown, about 3 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and add tomatoes, fenugreek, cumin, turmeric, cayenne, chili, and cinnamon bark. Stir well.
- Increase heat to medium and cook, stirring regularly, until ghee/oil separates from the tomatoes, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in stock and red wine and bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 15 minutes, or until ghee/oil separates from the stock and rises to the top.
- Add short ribs and stir well. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer for about 4 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Serve with plain basmati rice.