Friday, October 16, 2009

Pros and Cons

I've spent a lot of time the past couple of days thinking about things: am I making the right decision, when is the right/best time to tell my boss, what am I going to say when I quit?

People I've talked to recently about my new career have been supportive in general, but have also made me question myself, I can only guess because they care and want to make sure I've thought everything through.

The hardest part is that my parents really don't understand at all. To them, my decision is out of the blue. It's wild. It's ridiculous. It's throwing away years of eduction and training. It makes it hard to be confident in such a big decision without the support of my parents.

So I wrote out my list of pros and cons. It's all stuff I've already thought about, just never really written down. The list really illustrated to me how many pros there are to cooking and how many cons there are to my current job.

Current Job
Pros:
-good salary
-job security
-stable hours
-great co-workers

Cons:
-not interested in work
-hate sitting all day staring at the computer
-the work is the same year after year
-it will take me at least two years to finish my exams
-hate studying for something i'm not interested in
-reduced study time from work
-it will take years to be a consultant

Cooking
Pros:
-it's fun
-i learn something new every day
-possibility of owning my own business some day
-opportunities for travel
-many opportunities within the industry
-meeting new people
-like having a uniform
-like having a physical job
-i get to eat at work

Cons:
-pay sucks
-will need to have more than one job at a time
-hours are different each week
-have to work weekends/holidays
-school costs money

My horoscope today: No matter how big the task you have set yourself and no matter how strong the rivals who stand in your way there is no doubt you will beat the odds and come out ahead of the game. You are about to make the big time. Believe it.

And I guess that's the bottom line - I have to believe that I'm doing what's best for me and just go for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment